Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Awwwww Mama. Comin' To My Rescue Again.

So, before I interrupted myself to tell you about my Mother's Day Moment, I was worried about what I was going to do for a vehicle, since mine had decided it would no longer move.

See, these are the curve balls I've mentioned before.

Those unexpected 'You GOTTA be kidding me!' moments that knock you flat on your ass.

And vehicle malfunctions? Yeah. THOSE are at the VERY TOP of my list of Pet Freakin' Peeves!


And now, I had the biggest malfunction of all.

Either pay somewhere between $3-5000 to get the engine working again.

Then add on whatever else was wrong with it aside from the leak in the radiator, that started the whole damn mess in the first place.


Or say forget it, and see what I could find to replace it.



Now, I know many of your are thinking, 'You work, go out and lease/buy another car.'

Yes, very easy for you to think/say when you don't make my salary, pay my bills, or raise my kids now isn't it?

Add to that I STILL want to sell this house, and don't want to do anything to my credit or rating that would jeopardize getting the new mortgage.

The house.

It always comes back to the damn house.

Yes, a car is important, but so is getting us into a new house.

Seven years is a long time to be in a house you hate.

When I say it's important, let me clarify that. It's IMPORTANT!!!


So, just running out and getting another car, is not so simple.

Neither is trying to buy a reliable one, when you have less than (at least) $5000 to put on something selling on Kijiji.

Thankfully, I have a friend.

That friend has a friend who is a GM at a large car dealership.

That friend was willing to give me a phenomenal deal on a new vehicle.

Mama really, really REALLY wanted a new CRV.


Mama really really REALLY wants a new house, too.


I didn't need something new. Just functional.

On the hope that he could help me out with functional, I went to see the Car Dude.

When I walked out of there, I could have chosen something far more than functional, for 'omygodi'mrobbingyoublind' cheap!

But ... it meant going back to some form of a car payment.

A CHEAP car payment, but a payment nonetheless.


I told Car Dude I'd think about it.

Yes, I needed a car, but I knew I had my (god love 'im) mechanic's for another day, and I wasn't about to just buy something ... spur of the moment like that, without at least checking with my Bank Dude to see if would affect my chances of getting the house I want.

So I left the car dealership, still car-less.

Or was I?


I got to my borrowed car, and checked the cell for messages before leaving.

There was one from my mom.

I distractedly went through the motions of calling the message box, and slid the phone up to my ear, expecting to hear my mom leaving me a gentle reminder NOT to buy anything 'on the spot' if I went car shopping today.

Cause that's exactly the message my mom would leave.

Which is why I was wasn't surprised in the least when I heard her say, 'Hi, it's me, just wanted to tell you NOT to buy anything if you go car shopping today ...

But then, she followed it up with ... 'because I'm at a dealership right now, and I just bought a new car, so you can have mine if you want it.'

HUH?

WHAT?

Did my mother just say she JUST bought a new car and she was giving me hers?

1 Where's that #1 button to replay that message!

I hit replay and sure enough, it wasn't simply the whole not having a vehicle stress that was messing with my brain ... my mother DID just tell me she was giving me her car!

Awwwww Mama. Comin' to my rescue again.

I've said so many times that I don't know what I'd do without that woman.

My one woman support system :-)


Apparently I now had a decision to make.

A new CRV for a cheap monthly payment, or a free, not new, Toyota Camry that was in mint condition.

That night, I mentioned my options to my ex. He said ... 'What's there to think about, it's a FREE car!'

Well, yes, it's a free car, but it would also be nice to have a new car ... and it would also be nice to not have my mom rescue my ass.

Unfortunately, or fortunately in my case, that's my mom, and she wouldn't have it any other way, if I'd let her.


Yes, I DID have a decision to make.

However, taking on the loan and getting a car meant potentially losing the future new house.

That was the deciding factor. Period.


So, with that in mind ... all my Korner Dwellers, check out Mama's new ride! (thanks to mama's Mama!)






Thanks Friend, for putting me in touch with Car Dude.

Thanks Car Dude, for offering me an awesome deal on a new car.

But Mom, thanks for always being there, and for once again, saving my sorry ass.

Love you! Hope you know it! *Smooches!*

Your favourite daughter,


K.

P.S. For those of you who don't know me well, and are chomping at the bit to call foul at my public announcement claiming to be my mother's favourite daughter ... I'm an only child, People! It's a family joke.

Now, go back to admiring my new car!

4 comments:

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Oh, congrats! Aren't moms THE best?!

CraftyLzrd said...

Sweet! You are very lucky to have such a wonderful mom.

Also, I have a Camry and love it... I wasn't thrilled when we first got it because of what it meant at the time, but its been a good car for us.

Unknown said...

That is awesome!! I wish you luck on selling your house so you can finally get the house you want.

{hugs}

Kim's Korner said...

Thanks guys! Yes, Mom's absolutely ROCK! Especially MINE! :-) I'm VERY blessed when it comes to moms.

And thanks Nicki! I'm still waiting on a sale, but always hoping something will come through. I'd like to uncross my fingers one of these days though ;-)