Saturday, June 19, 2010

Is Power To The People A Reality? Or Simply Myth?

I signed a petition this week.

I'm not an overly political person. I don't jump on fanatical band wagons supporting multiple causes.

When I really believe in something, however, I'll voice my opinion. Usually, loudly.

I like to think that we, the vocal human race that we are, have the power to influence and induce change.

Sometimes I think we succeed. In fact, I have SEEN the 'Power to the People' in action.

Sometimes, we fail miserably.


This week, I found out that two characters from my all-time favourite show, Criminal Minds, are being tampered with.

Apparently, AJ Cook (good Canadian girl, WOOT WOOT!), is being cut from the cast, and Paget Brewster is facing a reduced role, due to 'creative (financial) reasons'.

The fans are calling BULLSHIT!

And this is one of those times I'm going to voice my opinion ... LOUDLY!!!


CBS, this is WRONG!!!!

On SO many levels!

And based on the over 30,000 signatures in the Online Petition to 'Save AJ and Paget', I'm not the only one who thinks so!


Not only are these characters portrayed as intelligent, strong, capable women in a mans world, they bring together the entire cast.

As a family.

The chemistry between ALL these cast members is what draws the viewers to the show.

Not the grisly murder, not the chaos, not the 'OMIGOD' factor it provides on a weekly basis.

It's the PEOPLE!

It's the CAST that makes us tune in every week; their interactions with one another.


We can turn on any 'cop show' and find murder and mayhem.

Criminal Minds hasn't cornered the market on that. Some may argue that CSI did it first, and better.

What they HAVE found, is what makes a good ensemble cast, what makes a show WORTH watching.


And now, they're messing with perfection.

And I have to ask ... 'WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE THINKING?!?!?!'


Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the character of Garcia. She's 'my girl'! In fact, Adam compares me to her all the time LOL. Not in appearance, but she's what he refers to as a 'computer geek' and his mama's a computer geek ... hence the comparison.

In fact, he thinks I should have Garcia's job! :-)

And the men? Now don't even get me started on THEM!

Yes, I absolutely tune in to see broody Hodge, sexy Morgan, and the oh so sweet Spencer Reid, (still getting used to Rossy, after losing Gideon) but ... we all know, behind every good man, is a great woman.

Or in this case, behind the BAU Boys, we have Garcia, Prentiss, and JJ.


Now, we know Garcia will have Morgan's back ... but who will watch over Hodge and Reid without Prentiss and JJ?

A new character to replace JJ?

PLEASE!!!

Whoever this poor person is that they put in to replace JJ, will be facing a hostile viewing audience before ever setting foot on screen.

She's being set up to be disliked by fans, before she even makes an appearance, simply because they know she's replacing a beloved character.

Not exactly starting off with great fan support.


With today's post, I'm hoping to show that Power to the People is a reality, and not simply a myth.

The People want JJ and Emily to stay.

We've voiced our opinion in an online petition.

If you want to voice your opinion on this, please go and sign the petition.

You can find it HERE Keep AJ Cook & Paget Brewster on Criminal Minds!


Is Power to the People a reality? Or simply a myth?

If you think that a simple petition will accomplish nothing, then don't waste your time.

If, however, you think that as viewers we MIGHT be able to make a difference, then GO, SIGN!

Possibly MAKE the difference.


Will CBS ever read it?

Who knows.

Will they action on our wishes?

I'd like to think so, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.


I DO know that AJ Cook and Paget Brewster have read it, and DO appreciate the fan support.

Other cast members are tweeting their support of AJ and Paget as well.

Please do the same.

Help keep these beautiful, wonderful, talented women on the show.

GO. SIGN. BE HEARD.

Let's make Power to the People a REALITY!


Love you AJ and Paget! ***SMOOCHES!***

Hate you CBS if you actually pull this bonehead move!

K.

P.S. Part of my comment from the petition (on come on ... you KNOW I'd leave a comment!) 'Remember that scene in Pretty Woman, where Julia Roberts walks back into the boutique and tells the salesgirl that when she wouldn't help her she 'Made a BIG mistake ... HUGE!' Yeah. Same sentiment can be applied here'

1 comment:

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

I'm sorry I don't watch Criminal Minds, but I just love how you started out talking about politics, petitions, and power to the people, and then went on to relate that to a TV show. I feel the same way about other TV shows - much passion!!!