Tuesday, February 1, 2011

See This? THIS Is What 40 Looks Like!

See this?

THIS is what 40 looks like.


Yesterday was my birthday.

I turned 40.


OK, so maybe it looks more like this ...



Alright! Alright! So it looks most often like this ...


People act like turning 40 should be a big deal.

Really? It was just like any other day.


I did go out with family and friends the Friday night before my birthday, to celebrate.

That was a GREAT time!

I’m not sure why, but I felt very strongly about going home for my birthday this year. Spending it with my mom, and family.

Maybe it’s because I’m getting sentimental in my old age, but if I was going to go out and celebrate this event, I wanted to do it with family.

Friends were invited, and welcome too, of course, but for some reason, this year, it was important for me to party hard with my family, as opposed to a room full of strangers in a downtown bar.


Friday night was a wonderful time. I danced. I sang. My glass was never empty all night!

I’m really glad I made the road trip and had the night out.

Because yesterday, the actual birth DAY … was pretty much a non-event.


The first ‘Happy Birthday’ message I read on my Facebook wall that morning made me smile. OK, it out and out made me laugh (Thanks, Russell!!!)

It was nice to start the day off like that.

I got an e-card from my uncle.

My mom called me at work.

Adam wished me a happy birthday on his way out the door for school. Alec did too, later that afternoon sometime.

I got a heartfelt ‘Happy Birthday’ from a couple of people at the office, and an obligatory ‘Happy Birthday’ from a couple of others.

On the way home from work last night, I bought myself a chocolate fudge cake, and had the bakery lady write on it ‘Happy 29th, ALWAYS!’

I had many happy birthday wishes on my Facebook wall throughout the day, that I REALLY appreciated!

I got home from work, unloaded a dishwasher, put a load of laundry in the wash, brought three armloads of wood in from the garage, made spaghetti for dinner, and folded a full laundry basket, filled entirely of … socks! UGH!


And that was how I celebrated.

No fanfare.

No ‘big deal’.

Heck … not even cards from my kids … until Alec realized I was disappointed in them for that, and made me one.

But what can ya do? They’re kids. It’s not like their dad is going to remind them to do anything for me to make the day ‘special’.

It is what it is.


My co-workers? Um … yeah. There was another guy in the office with a birthday yesterday, too.

Also his 40th.

His cube was decorated. A card went around the office for everyone to sign. A bunch of people took him out to lunch.

And I must say, it really warmed my heart to see how our co-workers took the time and effort to make his day special for him.


It was also a nice kick in the face to see that the people I work with every day, some for years, some I consider friends, didn’t think enough of me to pick up or sign a card, let alone decorate a cube.

That was nice.

Made me feel SO good to know how much they cared!

Right.


Feeling sorry for myself?

Nope.

Simply stating the facts of how I spent my ‘special day’ for my 40th.


Feeling bitter towards my co-workers?

Nope.

It was an eye opener. Nothing more.


I got used to being the only one making my day special for ME, after the ex and I split six years ago.

That’s why I buy myself a birthday cake every year. And why I buy myself presents from my kids.

*I* make my day special.

For me.


I had a lot of fun in my 20’s.

I was just starting out … getting married ... starting a family … working on the career ... starting a life.


I can’t really say I’m sorry to see my 30’s go.

Although there were a few good moments (like Adam’s birth), they were few and far between.

A lot of it pretty much SUCKED!


I’m looking forward to my 40’s.

I think it’s going to be a GREAT decade!

It’s going to be what *I* make of it.

And I plan on making it phenomenal!!!


Next year though, I’ve decided I’m going to do things just a little bit differently ...

See this?

Pic taken from HERE


Next year?

This is what 41 is going to look like! Or something close to it!


Happy Birthday to ME!!!! :-)

K.

2 comments:

Expat No. 3699 said...

Belated Happy Birthday!!!!

You should soooo get yourself that as your present next year!

Cricket said...

And I thought 30 looked good... I can't wait until I'm 40 and as hot as you!

That sucks about the co-workers, though. UGH.