Saturday, March 14, 2009

People Intersect

I'm reading a book.

It's called Double Cross by James Patterson.


Pic courtesy of Amazon.com



I love Patterson. He's one of my favourites, and I've read all the books based on the Alex Cross character.

I even have the next one in the series sitting on my shelf - Cross Country - ready for when I finish this one ;-)

This afternoon, one sentence in Double Cross got my attention.

'People intersect'.

I thought about that for a second.

I read it again.

'People intersect'.

How true.

And my mind wandered to all the 6 degrees of separation people in my life. Both real, and online.

People who have come & gone, and then come back again (thanks Facebook!).

Lives intersecting.

That got me thinking of a question I'd read recently.

One posted by a fellow blogger, Beggar's Shot Glass, whose path intersected with mine almost a year ago on another blog site.

I didn't answer her question at the time, but I did think about it.

'What kind of impression are you hoping to make and leave with people in your life?'

The obvious has gone through my head. A good mom who loved and had fun with her kids. Good daughter and friend. Good person.

Ya know, the usual stuff.

Tonight, I was going to see a friend I met through a friend, who I met through my ex almost 20yrs ago.

Intersecting at it's best! lol

I was also running errands, and ran into a person whose path I haven't crossed in over 15 years, and who unknowingly answered my question of 'what kind of impression?' I left people with.

I was going into the convenience store, and this guy was coming out. We were walking straight into each others paths, so I started to move to one side.

He slowed down, turned around, stopped and asked "Didn't you teach at the computer school, XXX?'

I was suddenly having a flashback! This has happened before!

I stopped, said I wasn't a teacher, but worked in the lab right after graduation from that school, which we both agreed had been the 93-94 time frame.

He said 'YES! I remember you! You were a great help to me!'.

I was completely shocked.

Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't the words that came out of this stranger's mouth.

I didn't recognize him. Didn't 'know' him, but obviously our paths had intersected before.

He then said 'You probably don't remember, but I was one of old guys in the class at the time, and you really helped me alot that year.

And I remember those violet eyes!

But more importantly, I remember how helpful you were to me!' :-)

LOL

Wow.

He was right. I didn't remember him. Like I've said before, my memory sucks.

I'm just walking along, mindin' my own business, and out of the blue I walk into the path of a man who says I was 'a great help' to him 15yrs ago. That's how he remembers me.

So, I thanked him again, told him I was glad I was able to help him that year, that it was cool that he was still in 'the biz' after all these years, and went on my way.

As I pulled open the door to the convenience store, two thoughts crossed my mind.

People intersect and;

don't forget the toilet paper.

K.

3 comments:

Sue said...

:-)

People do intersect. Sometimes all you have is ten seconds to make an impact on somebody that can alter the course of their lives (or your own).

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Have you ever read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Alboom? If not, give it a read. Talk about people intersecting!!

Kim's Korner said...

Sue - I agree completely! You never know who you affect with your words and actions, in the smallest ways.

Bon - No, I haven't read that one yet. I'll have to look for it at the bookstore downstairs when I'm back at work next week :-) Thanks for the suggestion!