Friday, March 13, 2009

Sissy's Song

Get your Kleenex!

You've been warned.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that the mom of one of Alec's best friends was dying.

Nine days after I wrote that post, she was gone. She was 47yrs old.


She left behind a husband, a 13yr old son, and 10yr old (I believe) daughter.

And it just makes me so sad knowing they're going to miss so much.

Alec and I attended her funeral on Monday.


That morning, I worked from home, the boys went to school.

Shortly after 1pm, I left to pick up Alec.

On the way to the school, I was listening to
my favourite station, and heard a new song I had only heard a couple of times before.

I didn't 'know' it yet, but I knew I loved it.


I had no idea who sang it, but it didn't matter, it was beautiful.

The first notes started just as I left the house.

I knew it probably wasn't a good idea to listen to it. Not while on the way to her funeral.

I knew the words in this song would hit hard at that moment, and driving and tears aren't exactly a good / safe combination.


Instead, I turned it up. LOUD.

I have since learned this is Sissy's Song. By
Alan Jackson.








I DID say get the Kleenex.


Thankfully, it was over and I had manged to fix the smudged eyeliner by the time I'd reached the school.

Later that night, I thought about the funeral, and how that particular song had come on the radio at that particular time.

Strange.

But oddly, comforting and just what I needed.

Click on Alan's link above, to hear him personally tell the story behind Sissy's Song.
K.

No comments: